Go to home pageGo to history pagego to opening night pagego to dates 1930 -1959go to dates 1960 -1969go to dates 1970 -1971go to dates 1972Dates 1973go to dates 1974go to dates 1975go to dates 1976go to dates 1977go to dates 1978go to dates 1979go to dates 1980go to dates 1981 to 1982go to dates 1983 to the presentVarious Photographs of the Theatrelive albums of concerts at the theatrefilms that have been shot at the theatreContact me & Info Outside on The Opening Day 29th September 1930 & The Architechs plan showing the awkward island site   The Rainbow or The Finsbury Park Astoria, as it was originally called was opened in 1930. The last of four “Astorias” to be built within the space of a year, for a company headed by A. Segal of 20, Berkley Street, London W.1. - The others were at Brixton(Now The Academy, Brixton) , Streatham(Now The Odeon, subdivided into 8 cinemas) and the Old Kent Road(Demolished).Further Astorias were announced for Wood Green and Catford but were never built.
They are without doubt amongst the finest buildings ever erected in England for the showing of films. And at Finsbury Park we certainly have the best example in Britain of the “atmospheric” style of cinema. All four of the Astorias were designed by E. A. Stone, who was also responsible for other Astorias at Folkestone, Southend, Cliftonville, Brighton and Charing Cross Road as well as other cinemas such as The Grange Kilburn, and The Warner in London’s Leicester Square.
In December 1930 the chain of cinemas were taken over by Paramount Pictures and were renamed The Paramount Astorias. It’s worth pointing out that these cinemas did not just show films, the film were part of a whole evenings entertainment, which include organ recitals and a full-blown elaborate variety show. In November 1939 the cost of staging these shows became too much and Paramount could no longer afford to carry on, the result was the Astorias were taken over by Oscar Deutch’s Odeon Chain. Tasked with making these cinemas profitable they scrapped the stage shows, keeping only the organ interludes and increasing the number of showings of films shown daily they soon began to show a profit……….. So much for show business!
  The Finsbury Park Astoria was erected on an awkward island site between Seven Sisters Road and Isledon Road, bounded at the rear by Coleridge Road. The external composition was led by an imposing entrance block in cream and green faience, the effect of which continues to be diminished by the dominant brick mass of the auditorium immediately behind it.
  Return to top of the page   Copyright © Rick Burton 2011